Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Bad News and the AWESOME News

I can finally reveal to everyone both halves of the secret I have been bursting with for two days. Pardon my silence, but for one half, I was asked to keep it quiet, and for the other half, I didn't want to say anything until I was sure it was happening.

First, the bad news...I didn't win the Face of Fox Toledo competition. Congrats to Ashley, who I'm sure will do an awesome job. Naturally, I was bummed, but still, I know that I did as well as I could. I can walk away from the experience with my head held high, knowing I gave it everything I had.

And, as I've said, the amazing, awesome, unbelievable support I got from all you guys has made it all worthwhile. From everyone who supported me every step of the way, to those who posted links asking others to watch my video on Facebook (Abby, Lindsey, Christen) to those who watched my video countless times on their computer (Abby, Lindsey, Christen, Lia, Gretzinger, Caitlin, so many, if I'm forgetting anyone please let me know! :) ), I appreciate it all more than I could ever say. You guys are just incredible, and I love you so very much.

But now...the rest of the story.

After she told me I hadn't won, the Fox producer asked me if she could forward my contact information to the editor-in-chief of the Toledo Free Press, Michael Miller, who has been a judge in the contest from the beginning. It seems he took an interest in me from my first audition, and had a proposition for me. I said of course she could.

Mr. Miller called me later that afternoon, and he had me into his office for a meeting today. As soon as I walked in and saw action figures of Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Batman, Superman and others lined up behind his desk, I knew I was home.

I start writing a weekly arts/pop culture column for the Toledo Free Press later this month. I’ll also be conducting interviews for the paper’s website.

To say I’m thrilled is a gross understatement. As I stated to Mr. Miller during the interview this afternoon, he’s basically offering me my dream job. And I’m grabbing on with both hands and running with it.

This has been a remarkable, roller-coaster experience. Thank you guys once again for all the support - I could never have done it without you. But I think the real adventure has only just begun.

Excelsior! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home