Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yes

According to the doctor this afternoon, I have diabetes.

I am immediately being started on a medication (oral, not injected) to get my blood sugar under control, but the lion's share of the work has to come from me.

The doctor looked me dead in the face and said, "The best thing you can do is eat half as much as you do now."

There's more to it, of course. No sugar. No fruit. Almost no carbs. More protein. More exercise.

Strangely, my attitude is not one of sadness or fear, but of resolution. It's happened, my lifestyle and eating choices have caused it, and now it's up to me to correct it.

All I have to do is take care of myself. Something I have been negligent in doing in recent years. But that all changes now. It must.

Maybe the changes this brings will help me to see a path to getting the rest of my life on track, as well.

There is far too much good in my life, far too many wonderful people and things for me to experience and love, to let my health be a secondary concern. Not now, not ever.

I will not let my weight dictate who I am any longer.

The rest of my life starts now.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for taking care of yourself! Here are some of my favorite foods which I think you might find surprisingly tasty:

Edamame: (I love them in the shell, boiled in salt water, served warm)

Whole wheat bread always instead of white

Salmon lox with capers for breakfast. I never eat cereal, donuts, pastries or fruit.

Turkey cold cuts - they are good for you, AND theres a mood-enhancing chemical in them that makes you happier after eating it!

Put tofu in almost anything you eat and it automatically boosts the protein level. Plus unless it is marinated (which is also yummy - anything from soy sauce to vanilla extract), it doesnt really taste like anything!

Nonfat cottage cheese

Jerky

Fresh spinach salads instead of iceberg lettuce.

Veggies dipped in hummus

Any sushi, just get it wrapped in seaweed instead of rice.

Tuna salad sandwiches

Egg salad sandwiches with leaves of basil instead of lettuce - YUM

The best part is that all of these things take little or no time to prepare, so if youre lazy and busy like me, you can still enjoy them just as easily as a slimy pizza.

Also dance classes are awesome. Choose 2 or 3 to take every week, and make it part of your weekly schedule.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home