Sunday, December 26, 2004

Definition of "The Elite Media"

So, I'm on the blog of Scott Keith a few days ago, and he posts a quick review of WWE's Smackdown show in Iraq. In it, he criticizes Vince McMahon for so continuously using his show for shameless self-promotion, even while he's doing such a noble thing as offering entertainment to the troops. This, I agree with. But of course you can't bring up such a thing as the war without stirring up majorly deep feeling amongst folks, so now that post has erupted into a major pro/anti war debate. I did post my thoughts, and must admit that I am cheered to see that, while my comments did not silence debate, no one who has replied to my post has tried to refute any of the points I made in it, simply tried to talk around them and ignore what I said. So, I take that as a minor victory.

Funnier still, the major conservative in the conversation has begun to rant about how the "elite media" tried to stretch the truth to get Kerry into office, which was thwarted by the virtuous and pure "new media." Here, for the record, is his exact definition of what constitutes "elite" and "new":

"The Elite Press -- ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, New York Times, Dallas Morning News, LA Times, Boston Globe, TIME, Newsweek, US News & World Report, USA Today, etc.

"The New Press -- Fox, Drudge Report, NewsMax, Wall Street Journal, Talk Radio, The Bloggers"

Get it? Every source that is naturally right-wing biased is the "New Press," every relatively neutral source is "Elite." Isn't that great? That way, you can just ignore anything that is said by any reputable source, because they're obviously "elite," and turn to the "new media" for your salvation. Isn't that a great way of looking at the world?

Any one who holds among their paragons of journalistic virtue TALK RADIO seriously needs to open their ears, IMO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home