Thursday, December 23, 2004

Andy and Geekin'!!!

Back in 1996, I was a writer for a little online wrestling newsletter. In the course of writing for said sheet, I made a few long-distance friends, among them a young man by the name of Andy from near Atlanta. Really, really cool guy, who I had many a great long-distance phone convos about wrestling and life and stuff with. Heck, I even went down to Georgia to visit him for a vacation, and he to BG to do the same.

Then, somehow, I didn't get in touch with him for, well, years. I dunno what happened, but I kept forgetting to write him, then he wrote me, and I tried to write back, then one day I said, "I should really e-mail him," and I did, and the message got bounced back at me, because he wasn't at that addy anymore. I tried a few times over the next few years to find him, to no avail. All the while, I felt horrible, because I had lost a great friend, and it was my fault. I kept his old AOL name on my AIM account, but I never saw him.

Until tonight, when suddenly, that name was highlighted on my AIM screen. And, sure enough, there he was. We didn't get long to talk, as he was busy, but, man, was it great to hear from him again. And he's even doing really well. How well? THIS well...

http://www.geekinmovie.com/

This is the website for the independent movie Andy wrote the script for. Now, imagine this scenario: you lose touch with a guy for a few years, you come back, and he's in the middle of having his script produced. Yowsa. :) He sent me a copy of the script, and I'm gonna get back to him as soon as I've had a chance to read it. But having read Andy's work before, I'm sure it's great.

But beyond everything, man, it's great to hear from him again. I really, really hope we can keep in touch for much longer this time around.

Man, the barn burns down, I see Heather for the first time as a married woman, and now I suddenly get in touch with Andy again. 2004 is not ending quietly, that's for damn sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home