Saturday, December 17, 2005

The 200th Post!!!!

And now, for all those who came late, a taste of all the things I’ve spent the last year, one month, 28 days and seven hours writing about…

1. For all those who wanted me to get off my duff and update my old blog, well, sorry, but that one's gone the way of the dodo.
2. I am so full of joy right now, it makes no sense.
3. It's like I turned my back and pop culture sprung a fast one on me.
4. Think that headline will get me a few more hits from the Blogger database? :)
5. James Williams is the coolest guy alive!
6. It twas off to Cincinnati to see the lovely and talented Melissa Bennett in the Clear Stage Cincinnati production of Romeo and Juliet yesterday.
7. In this tumultuous and anger-filled election season, maybe what we all need is a good laugh.
8. It was a political-rally-as-rock-concert.
9. Can't really say much about the showing...we went, we stood in line and hugged my aunt and the rest of the family, then we went home.
10. Hope she doesn't mind me posting this here, but Heather wrote me an e-mail outlining her own thoughts on the Paris Hilton discussion, and I found them interesting enough to share with the rest of ya...
11. For the record, I have never believed in curses, much less curses applied to baseball.
12. This is weird.
13. Check this out.
14. You know, a scant hour ago I supported John Kerry in this election 100%.
15. A few random thoughts on this, perhaps my favorite of all holidays...
16. Heather's gonna hate me for posting this link, but it's just too funny and so amazingly mean-spirited, I can't resist...
17. You know, there are few feelings more satisfying than to find out that your job has been done for you.
18. Well, we tried.
19. Holy cow, does it feel like WWE is in disarray right about now.
20. Sorry for the sudden and unannounced lack of updates, but it's been a long weekend.
21. A few random musings, whatever comes to mind as I type...
22. Snuck in and saw this one this afternoon after getting off work, and it's pretty good.
23. One more before the evening is out, as I went with my bro and the lovely and talented Heather Waterfield to see this one this evening.
24. Methinks I'll keep this up, if there are no objections, as I'd like to sharpen my critical muse a bit, just to see if it hasn't atrophied.
25. There's a lot of things to talk about today, and maybe I'll get to 'em later.
26. First things first...mega, huge, colossal congratulations to the lovely and talented miss Abby Bollenbacher for being named Miss Northwestern Ohio over the weekend!
27. So, I decide to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy the game this afternoon, since I am gonna be stranded at home for the next week anyway, and I need something to kill the time with.
28. BTW, another shout-out to my dear amiga Abby, reigning Miss Northwestern Ohio, who if you didn't know, has now opened a blog of her own:
29. In anticipation of the arrival of the Strong Bad DVD set, and to serve as an introduction to some of my friends who may not be as familiar with HomestarRunner.com, here's a list of my 10 favorite SB emails from that first 100, in chronological order.
30. A little messing around with my template gives me a links section of my very own.
31. "Come, my friends,‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
32. So, I've decided to start doing DVD reviews on here as well, just to broaden the reviewing palate a little.
33. Well, I've got a big weekend ahead of me at work, just long enough to introduce a new feature on here that is of no interest to anyone but me.
34. Got off work early so I can add two things before I go to bed...
35. Just wanna take a moment to respond to the lovely and talented Lindsey Ruehl's question about my attempt to lose weight...why not Atkins?
36. Croissanwich and OJ from BK for breakfast, Almond Boneless Chicken, Rice and Gravy, and Diet Coke for lunch, Tendercrisp Chicken Sandwich and Diet Coke for Dinner, bowl of Apple Jacks for midnight snack.
37. Got a look at the Chatters' lounge at work, and it looks like a really nice place (not that I'D eat there, given the prices), but in looking at the menu, I found that my esteemed employers apparently felt obligated to stick with the motif of their main business in naming the drinks on sale.
38. No breakfast, Tendercrisp Chicken Combo for lunch, small bag of beef jerky for snack, four slices of pizza and two breadsticks from Pizza Hut for dinner (not proud of that), bowl of Apple Jacks for midnight snack.
39. So, we take the ups with the downs in life.
40. I decided I didn't like the 3D's being posted here on the main page, as it just seemed like something that was breaking up the rhythm of the page, and I realized that some folks might find it a distraction.
41. Went with the lovely and talented Heather Waterfield and saw this one this evening, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
42. Just a quick one as I write on this late Thursday evening, in the wee hours of what is actually my favorite holiday.
43. My own personal Turkey day is complete.
44. Working at the box office at a major movie theatre, you begin to see...patterns.
45. Surprise! :)
46. A super-duper congratulations to da man, Brett Favre, who will start his 200th consecutive game tonight on Monday Night Football.
47. Heather brought my attention to this story today....
48. I am thrilled to be able to announce that on November 23rd, Chris and Kristi Poltrone, two of my dearest friends and some of the best people on the planet Earth, welcomed into their family their first child, Allison Nell Poltrone.
49. The Metal Gear Solid folks always seem to fit in at least one flat-out "mess with your mind" moment per game (in the case of MGS2, that phrase describes basically the entire plot), and as I have just learned, MGS3 is no exception.
50. I have a few things I'd like to talk about, but in lieu of offending people with my thoughts on...certain issues, I'd like to turn my attention to the world of sports.
51. Snagged this from Heather W's blog, 'cuz thought it was a cool idea, so here ya go (with ones I have done in bold, and comments in parenthesis)...
52. First things first, the lovely and talented Miss Abby Bollenbacher has updated her Being Miss Northwestern Ohio blog with a fascinating entry about the nature of the Miss America scholorship program and what goes into its make-up.
53. Double your pleasure, double your fun, two reviews for the price of one!
54. Each day, you learn a little something. For example, today *I* learned...
55. I need to re-watch the show to make sure what I'm about to say is indeed appropriate, but I figure I might as well write about what I'm feeling now.
56. Having a car of my own again gives me a few opportunities not available to me a scant few days ago.
57. Those of you who remember the first blog will remember this post, as it originally appeared there over a year ago.
58. If I said that "Ocean's Twelve" was a fun ride, but not quite up to the level of the first film, that'd be accurate.
59. So I was awoken yesterday by the lovely and talented Diane Shannon , asking me if there were any tree farms around BG.
60. It's so much easier when they're there to guide your hand.
61. Okay, this update's pretty much just for Heather, as she's the biggest H2G2 fan I know, but after posting the bit about the Hitchhiker's trailer, I decided to do a little snooping on imdb to find some info about the flick, as I had yet to actually do.
62. Evaluating as we get toward the end of the year at the movies, since we're rapidly approaching award season and I wanna know where I stand.
63. Click here.
64. Been a while, I admit, since an update on either this or the 3D, but this has been a chaotic few days, in more than a few ways.
65. Back in 1996, I was a writer for a little online wrestling newsletter.
66. So, I'm on the blog of Scott Keith a few days ago, and he posts a quick review of WWE's Smackdown show in Iraq.
67. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you not only get my first update in forever, but you get four, count 'em, FOUR Q'n'D movie reviews in one post!
68. First off, a very happy new year to everybody and hope that 2K5 treats you wonderfully well.
69. A few thank yous to be spread around, to many of my dearest peeps, and their effect on my life in 2004:
70. I spent the last two days alone in a hotel room with an older woman.
71. For those of you who ever wanted, for some crazy reason, to hear me sing in public, this is your chance:
72. A weird thought experiment to end a weird day - me and my brother were watching some episodes of the A-Team on DVD tonight, and we got into a discussion of the inevitable movie which will come.
73. We're sitting at about a month away from the BGSU Rumble, and for the first time I can remember, we won't be scrambling for participants at the last minute - we already have a a full boat of 30 as we speak!
74. After taping all four hours of this Sunday/Monday's 24 multi-episode marathon beginning to the new season, I finally got a chance to sit down and watch it all tonight, thanks to finally having a reasonably free evening, and with judicious use of the FF button on my VCR (not just during commercials, but during any sub-plots which are pretty obviously going nowhere).
75. So, at the theatre now we have these new plasma screen TVs.
76. So, today's project was to beef up my lagging efforts as a member of the Friendster website, as part of my ongoing project to broaden my circle of friends (and, who knows, come across someone who might wanna become something more than that...but such is the unspoken hopeful prologue).
77. I wasn't gonna watch any of the inauguration today, but work made it unavoidable by putting it on the TV in the lobby.
78. I got suckered into leaving an answer to this on Heather's blog, so I'll take a shot and post it here...and, hey, I'm curious as to what I'll get...
79. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the moment you've awaited for years has arrived, and we may celebrate the coming of the end of the world - someone has called me an @$$hole, and they meant it.
80. Heather just called with the news that Johnny Carson passed away this morning.
81. Roger Ebert has already posted a lovely remembrance of Johnny here.
82. "We're sure that The Tonight Show will be running plenty of Carson tributes this evening.
83. Okay, I just woke up and am looking at da nominees for the first time.
84. Sometimes you get to an odd place, where you know what you believe and why, but you can understand why others feel differently and can feel sympathy toward their position.
85. Yes, folks, the BGSU Rumble will be THIS FRIDAY at 10 p.m. (check your e-mailboxes for location and details, or if you didn't get the e-mail, lemme know and I'll re-send it to you).
86. Heather is gonna kill me for telling this to you all, but I can't resist.
87. A few things to regale you all with on this fine Saturday evening...
88. I have decided that I play the game of my life as I play poker - which, on the whole, is not a good thing.
89. The story you are about to read is true.
90. To Mr. Jim Emerson, editor of RogerEbert.com;
91. Figured you guys would enjoy this...
92. Valentine's Day may be a construction, but the feelings it represents are real.
93. As with the previous survey thing I posted, I got this from Lia, who in turn got it from her friend zOmb1.
94. Dear Dr. Thompson,
95. So we get the word at work tonight that a group of teenagers has written a letter to the home office of our theatre that they're planning to come in to either our place or Levis-Commons.
96. I just had the single best burger I've ever tasted in my life...and the kicker is, I made it myself.
97. If you didn't see it, Bill Maher's latest "New Rules" commentary from his HBO show featured an unspeakably brilliant closing monologue on a recent survey of high schoolers.
98. Okay, we're two days out, time for final Oscar predictions and preferences.
99. Don't have much time this afternoon, but here are a few quick reactions to the Oscars...
100. Here's a complete list of winners, as well as my picks, per Abby's request.
101. Just when I thought I could relax...
102. Allow me to present a succinct summary of the whole debate about display of the ten commandments in courthouses and government buildings, from Penn and Teller and their classic Showtime series, "Bulls#!t"...
103. Note: The following is pretty much a rant.
104. Courtesy Lia's blog, I present...The Goth Name Generator.
105. Quick update as I'm in the middle of a packed week with little if any free time.
106. In the spirit of the WB's...um...modest re-imagining of the Looney Toons characters in their new fall cartoon "Loonatics,"allow me to present some equally...modest proposals for other classic characters in need of a similar "updating."
107. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
108. Check it out.
109. I hadn't checked the blog in a few days and just noticed how that post about the Commonly Confused Words quiz completely screwed up everything on the page.
110. I've never been one to celebrate St. Patty's day, despite my Irish ancestry and the prominent "Mc" at the beginning of my last name.
111. Okay, spoilers aplenty coming, so if you haven't seen either of "The Ring" movies and wanna be surprised, please look away.
112. I am suddenly battling with my depression all over again, and in an effort to combat it I am posting something I've been sitting on for a while for no reason I can figure out - a compliation of some of the greatest Roger Ebert quotes from his reviews of bad movies.
113. Check this one out.
114. Going back in time a bit to my days as a wrestling online commentator for this entry...for 'tis time to pick 'em for WrestleMania 21, coming up this Sunday.
115. You can ask Heather.
116. I didn't know.
117. Courtesy Lia's blog, I'm daring ALL of you to try this one (not that I think many of you will).
118. (First of all, am I the first to note the irony that Blogger is having problems with the Problems page?)
119. 29.95 at Best Buy, and the complete Sledge Hammer legacy is now mine.
120. Well, maybe the problem with the quiz is it's too hard.
121. Well, we're down to nine songs left, and so it's a perfect time for me to throw a monkey into the wrench and switch things up a bit.
122. With 12 outta the 20 possible songs correct, no one can catch her, so Lindsey is da winnah!
123. Would you look at that!
124. This was a complicated week on a few fronts, hence my sudden lack of updates since the 19th.
125. I dig this idea, again from Lia's blog, so here it goes...
126. Welcome back to the show that never should have ended.
127. The lovely and talented Lindsey asked me dese questions on her blog, and here are my answers.
128. "anything with jessica mitolo had to have sucked."
129. Sorry to disappoint and end all speculation, but my absence has not been because I have been in pursuit of Jessica's defamer (the search still ongoing, by gum), but rather because I was in Chicago!
130. Well, I haven't updated in quite a few days.
131. This was a day where everything went wrong.
132. On the whole, the LOTR crowd was more fun, less rowdy, and allowed me to talk without shouting quite as loud as I had to tonight.
133. At last, George Lucas has made another Star Wars movie.
134. So I go into work on Friday.
135. Asking a favor of everyone...my dear friend, the lovely and talented Abby Bollenbacher, is auditioning to become "The Face of Fox Toledo," and has made it to the round of sixteen!
136. 1.) Bold what is true.
137. Two things...
138. Really quickly, I saw LY with my bro, the lovely and talented Beth Wander, and two of her friends today, and was pleasently surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
139. "Madagascar" is the lowest-attended $61 million-dollar grossing movie I've ever seen at the theatre.
140. #1. To date, what accomplishment, personal trait or event you were involved in are you most proud of and why?
141. I am writing this on a library computer, for my home connection has been spotty at best and damn annoying at worst, usually kicking me off after but a minute of use for the last two weeks.
142. A summary of the weekend's events for all y'all interested...
143. (whistles)
144. I recieved word this morning at 10:30 or so.
145. It's been a hectic and trying few weeks, not the least of which including a total computer meltdown and this past weekend, in which pretty much everything went wrong.
146. I'm BACK, baby!
147. Number A, we salute Matt Hirth, whose character Jonni Mooch won the Jack Sparrow Memorial Tournament on August 13th.
148. I guess I just wanna know what I've been missing out on, so I've been trying, like, EVERY DVD I own in da Compy...and finding that I really haven't been missing out on much.
149. On Thursday afternoon, on Chris Jericho's Official Web Page, the usual opening graphic was replaced by a shot of him standing in front of a TNA logo.
150. In lieu of answering Lindsey's "Song's I'm Enjoying" challenge (no CD player in my car means I'm not enjoying many songs, really) here, in random order, are a few things in pop culture I'm digging right now:
151. Turned out to be a lovely evening at J and Stephy's this evening, as what looked like a relatively limited get-together to teach Heather how to play the game turned into the first flat-out full-on poker night in which I've taken part in years.
152. If there is any concept that I truly dislike, it is that of “conventional wisdom,” specifically when it is applied to moviegoing.
153. Check this out.
154. So, Simpsons Season 6 came out a few weeks ago.
155. Stuff and stuff on this Labor Dabor…
156. Good news: I now have DSL connection so the net is uber-fast.
157. Before the Eagles/Falcons game, there was a brawl on the field which resulted in Jeremiah Trotter and Kevin Mathis (I only know the names because Matt was standing next to me when I typed them) and being ejected.
158. So rang the chant for the AJ Styles/Samoa Joe/Christopher Daniels match at the Unbreakable PPV.
159. AJ Styles's Official Page.
160. Online reaction to the move seems to be overwhelmingly negative, with folks writing off TNA's whole run on Spike TV as a result.
161. So, Dan Patrick's radio show this afternoon on ESPN Radio.
162. Memories I will take from the summer of Ought Five:
163. Obituary here.
164. First off, "Family Guy presents Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story."
165. http://vicesforvictims.blogspot.com/
166. 50 years ago tonight, a television show debuted that would have an impact on its genre, its medium, and its society forever.
167. Sitting at Greg's computer in the Condo, a quick update of the weekend's events before I crash...
168. 1. initials: JAM
169. 1. FIRST NAME? Jeff
170. Read.
171. So, WWE cans the only good announcer Raw has anymore, Jim Ross, shipping him to WWE.com, even though the one guy they had earmarked to take over the slot (UFC announcer Mike Goldberg) has since declined their offer and they now have no one in mind to take over.
172. This woman is sitting outside in the hall today at work.
173. Check it out.
174. Yep, it's done.
175. From Yahoo News...
176. Check it out.
177. According to Planet Family Guy, the show gets satirized on the cover of this month's issue of Mad Magazine, drawing each of the characters as a member of the Simpsons cast and proclaiming Family Guy "the most original show on television."
178. Been a long week of many events but few of actual consequence in the life of Jeff McGinnis, hence the lack of a pull to really write anything.
179. Congrats to Family Guy AND American Dad for being given the highest honor of all: being named the worst shows on TV by the Parent's Television Council!
180. We have a new list of the Best Movies Ever from that quintessential source, Total Film Magazine.
181. Roger's review of "Legend of Zorro."
182. A long night at the theatre summed up in a few sentences.
183. Read Roger's Movie Answer Man column for this week.
184. Okay, I am not usually one to relate “I won” stories, but this one is too good.
185. I liked the last few days.
186. It is my honor to announce that my dear friend Abby Bollenbacher was crowned Miss Maumee Valley tonight!
187. Mega-huge congratulations to my dear friends Stephanie Ruehl and J. Michael Bestul for getting engaged yesterday!
188. I found out early this afternoon from PWInsider.com that Eddie Guerrero was found dead in his hotel room in Minneapolis today.
189. The announced cause of death was heart disease aggravated by his past years of drinking and drug abuse.
190. A grand good morrow and happiest of Thanksgivings to everyone!
191. I am thankful for Andy for being one of the coolest dudes on the planet to talk movies with.
192. At the McGinnis Household, I've come to think of the Thanksgiving turkey in the same way that others may view, say, Groundhog Day.
193. http://forbes.codefix.net/capsule/
194. And the news story that will make you most sick today is...
195. 1. What time is it: 11:39 p.m.
196. (WARNING: The following review is basically nothing but one, big spoiler.
197. If you read this, if your eyes are passing over this right now, (even if we don't speak often) please post a comment with a COMPLETELY MADE UP AND FICTIONAL memory of you and me.
198. This one ain't mine, but it's a good one, anyway...
199. And now, some news stories out there that aren't airline-related tragedies:
200. And now, for all those who came late, a taste of all the things I’ve spent the last year, one month, 28 days and seven hours writing about…

Thank you all so very much for reading so far! I love you all!

-Jeff

P.S. - Hey, just asking, does anyone have a favorite post from the first couple ‘o hundred?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home