Sunday, November 21, 2004

Good vs. Bad

So, we take the ups with the downs in life. No positive can come without an equal and opposite negative. Think of it as the Optimistic Pessimism response to Newton's Third Law of Motion. So, for everything I will say in this post, I will balance it with an appropriate counter-weight, either positive or negative. You will come away from this series of observations decidedly neutral about the state of the universe.


BAD: Didn't get job I so wanted up in Toledo. As a result, am still currently in employment limbo.

GOOD: Still employed at theatre, getting a lot of hours now, also can still treat all my friends to movies. So, call! :)


GOOD: Busy weekend means more hours to come, in addition to the many I got this week.

BAD: Missing both Comedy of Errors and John Serve's show in Chicago because of that same work. Arrgh...


BAD: Still have no car, loss of personal freedom driving me batty.

GOOD: As a result, still borrowing my mom's car when she's not using it. Car has working heat, defrost and windows, and the radiator doesn't leak, which puts it at least four up on my last car.


BAD: Many hours at work means I have hugely aching feet from standing on them so long.

GOOD: Many hours at work means much money, which means I now also have the first DVD set of both Batman: The Animated Series and Taxi. :)


BAD: I'm not seeing a lot of my friends as much as I'd like.

GOOD: I'm not seeing them because they're uber-busy doing wicked cool things like being involved in an Eva show (yay Caitlin, Jessica, Amanda and the whole cast!!!), being united with someone they've been waiting a year to be with (yay Heather!!!) or becoming Miss Northwestern Ohio (yay again, Abby!!!).


GOOD: Metal Gear Solid 3.

BAD: Having no time to play it.


BAD: Ugly brawl at the Palace this weekend involving NBA players puts a black mark on all of sports.

GOOD: Gives talking heads on ESPN something other to obsess over than the Desperate Housewives incident on Monday Night Football.


BAD: Second term.

GOOD: Gridlock on needed 9/11 reforms indicates forthcoming stalemate of public policy, despite supposedly unified Republican government, giving me a bit of schadenfreude-ish glee. (This makes me a bitter and bad person, I think. For now, I'm dealing with it.)


BAD: My brother's favorite NASCAR driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., didn't win the cup.

GOOD: Personally, I don't give a damn about NASCAR.


GOOD: Frank Cho's uber-comics babe Brandy will soon be immortalized in clay via a statue being done by renowned sculptor Clayburn Moore. I ain't as big a Liberty Meadows fan as everyone else around BG, but I know a hot woman when I see one, and Cho's creation is indeed that.

BAD: The current status of the sculptures, as posted on Cho's website,completely negates this image by making Brandy look like a cross between Dolly Parton and Yul Brenner.


(Personal note of triumph - notice I got through this entire post without once referencing the "Facts of Life" theme song, though that opening sentence is a little too close to the "Nottingham"song from the animated "Robin Hood" for my taste...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home