Saturday, November 20, 2004

The Atkins Question

Just wanna take a moment to respond to the lovely and talented Lindsey Ruehl's question about my attempt to lose weight...why not Atkins? Because, well, my goal is not a DIET, but an ongoing attempt to permanently change my eating habits for the better. If my goal was simply to lose weight, sure, Atkins would be an easy out (though its long-term health risks are still relatively unexplored, and as such the program seems pretty dangerous to me), but I don't simply want to be thinner. I want to be healthier. Simply cutting carbs out of my diet and dropping tons of weight will not do that. For that, I need to gradually ease my way into a dietary existence which I can devote myself to for the rest of my life, as well as an extended exercise regimen. Ergo, the listing of the 3Ds here on the site is not to demonstrate how little I'm eating now...in fact, the amount of what I eat will gradually decrease over time. It is merely to give myself the knowledge that my bad habit is not done in a vacuum - it will be posted for all to see, and hopefully that will further inspire me to monitor what I'm putting in my body.

I'll never be thin, I know that. But I want to be as slim and healthy as I can be. Because if I can't control this - my one true addiction - how can I ever really control anything else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home