Thursday, November 18, 2004

To Strive, To Seek, To Find

"Come, my friends,
‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are:
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-"Ulysses," by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Watching the final season of "Frasier" today with my brother, I was reminded of this poem, which Frasier reads during the final moments of his final show. I've actually thought about it a lot lately. How applicable these words are to...well...everything, in all our lives. How we all strive to touch those happy isles of our dreams. And how seldom we do, or appreciate them when we can.

My life has been spent in pursuit of dreams, some attainable, most not. But in any case, far too often, fear has caused me to yield. So far, I look back and see only regrets. I can only hope as I live and grow, I can overcome my fears and truly begin to strive, to seek, and to find whatever it is I am looking for.

(Found MGS3 at GameStop and recieved the Strong Bad DVD set in the mail, BTW. Full reviews when I've had a chance to go through them. :) )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home