Monday, October 31, 2005

A Bragging Poker Story

Okay, I am not usually one to relate “I won” stories, but this one is too good.

Tonight was poker night, over at Beth’s place in Toledo. A bunch of her friends came, along with the lovely and talented Heather Waterfield. All in all, 10 people playing.

Right away I could tell I was sucking that night. The first game we played, when only five people had arrived, I was out in only two go-arounds of the table. Not good. So, I was resigned to finishing horribly and walking away a beaten man. Then, word came of playing a second game, with all the new arrivals joining in. Oooo-kay…

But, I still sucked. We split the game into two tables and I could not win a hand to save my @$$. But I bet small, folded often, and was still playing when we consolidated to one table of six. (Miss Waterfield was the clear leader, needing HELP from my brother to carry her chips to the next table.) I kept limping along, winning maybe five pots the whole night, until it got down to heads-up between myself and one of Beth’s friends, whose name I am sad to say slips my mind completely. (Sorry! I remember on second meeting, really! Ask her friend Marshall! And Derek!)

My opponent had a 4-to-1 chip lead at least, probably more. After a few middling hands and some friendly taunting, I went for broke and went all-in on a TOTALLY dominated hand - we both had aces, but he had an ace-jack, me an ace-seven. I was screwed, totally - until I hit the seven on the river. I had never been in quite that position before, being so totally dominated and sucking it out on the river, so the loud “YES!” that escaped my mouth was wholly involuntary. I swear.

From there, things began to turn around. I kept winning pots. Another miraculous river card kept my winning streak alive, pairing my king at the last moment. And after about a half hour, he went all in with a pair of 6’s, not knowing I had Aces and eights already on the board. A non-eventful turn and river later, I had won the whole she-bang. And another “YES!” escaped my lips.

It wasn’t until Matt and I were driving home that the irony caught me. I won with Aces and eights - the Dead Man’s Hand - not an hour before Halloween.

Insert Twilight Zone theme here. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home