Thursday, June 02, 2005

Abby's Questions!

#1. To date, what accomplishment, personal trait or event you were involved in are you most proud of and why?

Pretty easy on this one. "Picasso." It's not often someone gets to live out a lifelong dream, and do it with the help of a bunch of his best friends in the process. All the obstacles we faced in getting that one to the stage made the ultimate success of the show all the sweeter. The greatest compliment of my life came from a grad student after seeing the show - he told one of the cast it was the best show he had ever seen at BGSU. I've never been happier or more proud with one thing I've done, and I will be forever grateful to everyone who worked on the show for making it possible.

#2. Choose one of your favorite wrestlers; describe both their appearance and personality to someone with ABSOLUTELY NO WRESTLING KNOWLEDE by using pop culture or historical comparisons.

Okay - Mick Foley. Not just a favorite wrestler but a personal hero. About 6'4", 280 or so (probably less now that he's out of the biz), dark hair and beard. Not muscular at all, a build closer to Lou Costello than Lou Ferrigno (not that heavy though). While he was wrestling he played a multitude of characters, most famously as Mankind, a character which went through a bizarre transformation over the years, starting out as a Hannibal Lecter-esque madman and progressing into a more loveable goofball with a reputation for doing most anything. Personality-wise, Mick's speaking style has always been very glib and witty, with the ability to get serious when the occasion called for it. Mick's style is so distinctive and unisue, in fact, that I am struggling to come up with a historical or pop culture equivilent - just watching him is the best option. And I'd be happy to provide footage for anyone who asks. :)

#3. You are one of the most generous, kind and selfless people I have ever met, so answer selfishly: What would you do on a day with absolutely no obligations and $500 magic dollars in your pocket FOR YOURSELF?!?

$150 dollars would go toward picking up the box set of the six seasons of "Frasier" that are on DVD so far (The biggest gaping hole in my collection of favorite shows that I don't own yet), and the other $350 would go toward a trip to see all my friends who are a long-distance drive right now (Jeanine, Mel, Anne, Jessica, etc.).

#4. Where is Waldo?

Right behind you! AAAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

#5. Okay Mr. Movie Buff, you’re locked in a Turkish prison for the rest of your life- what one… well, make it two movies would you want/ could you tolerate playing over and over and over and over and over and…

First of all, what the heck did I do to deserve being in a Tuskish prison, and a Turkish prison which lets me pick which two movies I'd get to watch? :) Anyway...right off the top of my head, the two movies I'd go for would be "GoodFellas" and "Citizen Kane," for pretty much the same reason - no two films in my life have been so effective at swallowing me up whole within their narratives. Each film tells a very different story, in a very strong and powerful narrative form, in such a way that the sheer force of the storytelling sweeps the viewer along from beginning to end. No matter how many times I've seen either of these films, I'm still not quite sure where they're going next, like a beautiful and complex composition that you simply surrender to and let yourself be a part of, rather than simply listening passively. If the goal of choosing a film would be not only entertainment value, but escapism - the ability to get outside my predicament and live vicariously in another world - then those two would definitely be it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home