Friday, January 18, 2008

Yes, I'm still here...

A few quick (very quick) updates and thoughts on stuff...

-Nothing but love and best wishes to James, Chris and especially little Aiden right now. Keep kicking ass, my young friend.

-The job is going very well, though (in turns) it's both nerve-racking and kinda dull. But on the whole I'm enjoying it a lot. But it also takes up a lot of hours each week. Ah, the joys of being on salary...

-"Sweeney" was awesome. About everything I could have hoped for from an adaptation, though why they took out all the chorus parts still puzzles me a bit. But on the whole, they did a great job.

-"Juno" was awesome, too. And to all those who are jumping all over the movie for having "unrealistic dialogue" - you have nothing to say when Quentin Tarantino or Kevin Smith write their "unrealistic dialogue," do you? And yet "Juno" is getting crapped on. Gee, could it be because it was written by a woman, and its lead character is a woman, and its subject is pregnancy, which only a woman would face? Nah, that couldn't be it.

-"One Missed Call" and "AVP:R" were less awesome. In fact, "One Missed Call" was the polar opposite of awesome. Saw it with Loren, who wanted to see it (I invited him out to a flick while Abby was out of town), and as soon as it was over, he turns to me and says, "I am so sorry."

-While we're on the subject, congrats to Abby on a successful L.A. trip!

-Read and thoroughly enjoyed Steve Martin's "Born Standing Up," as well as finally acquiring my own copy of book version of “Picasso at the Lapin Agile.” Has it really been FIVE YEARS since our production of it? Time flies...

-My grandmother turns 86 today. Happy birthday, Grandma!

Okay, more later, I promise. But for now, back to the grind. Hi ho, hi ho...

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Abby said...

Thanks Jeff! :)

~Abby

 
At 5:22 AM, Blogger Averyslave said...

I don't think the answer to the "Juno" backlash is as you described. I think it's quite simply a reaction to the raging hype the film has scored compared to how simple and small the film really is. People have been led to believe the film is a new revolution in cinema, and then it turns out to be JUST about this pregnant girl and her issues. Same backlash against any mega-popular film.

For the record, I thought Juno was next-to-perfect. One of my top two for the year. I couldn't stand the first 10 minutes or so, because I thought the dialogue was so "smart" it actually got in the way. But once I shifted into the movie's gear, I had no problem with it. I just understand the backlash (especially against Cody who is being pushed Rocky Maivia style in the press.)

I liked AVP: R, too, but only as what it was. It could certainly have been better. Or at least good. But the Aliens and Predators were better than the last film, and that's my sole measuring stick for this kind of obvious crapfest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home