Thursday, October 28, 2004

I'm noticing a pattern...

This is weird. All my life, I had kinda become used to a certain idea. An idea of how things had to be, and the way things went. An idea that set me up for a life of relative disappointment.

Except...

-January: The Patriots win the Super Bowl over the somewhat-reveiled Panthers, in one of the best games I've ever seen.

-February: The one Oscar I really cared about seeing won, Charlize Theron for her brilliant work in Monster, does indeed happen.

-March: Chris Benoit, the best wrestler in the world and the one guy who everyone thought would NEVER get a chance with the strap, is given the belt at WrestleMania XX. After the match, he and another favorite, Eddie Guerrero, celebrate in the ring as the two highest-ranked champions in the company.

-June: The Detroit Pistons, underdogs and, by default, the good guys in the situation against the Lakers, win the NBA title in convincing fashion, shocking most of the basketball world in the process.

-August: I only watch one night of Olympic competition closely - the Men's Gymnastic All-Around finals. Paul Hamm, in one night, completes one of the single most dramatic comebacks in Olympic history and wins the (sadly disputed) gold.

-October: The Sox.

Thus far this year, in pretty much every sport and/or competition, the team/person I really wanted to see win, did. (Granted, the wrestling thing ain't exactly a pure example of competition, but I felt as strongly about that as anything listed here.) This is a complete 180 from the way things usually seem to go for me - I mean, none of these are a lifelong dream come true (like, say, the Indians winning), but they're all things that I really, really wanted to happen, and they did. Which usually doesn't happen for me. I mean, I'm always the bitter one mumbling about how disappointed I am. But this year...there ain't been much to be disappointed about.

I'm not offering theories, or asking why it's happening...I'm merely noting that it is, and hoping like hell it keeps up. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home