Friday, October 13, 2006

A little help?

I am asking for volunteers...I need a little advice.

As everyone who reads this little thingy knows by now, I have gotten struck and struck hard by my songwriting muse as of late. I have no idea how good a lot of what I'm writing is, but it feels good to be doing it. But writing lyrics and having the tune in my head isn't enough. I wanna be able to share the full vision of what I'm thinking of...and to do that, I gotta translate these things into written music, then (hopefully) into produced demos of songs that I can post, maybe on MySpace music.

I have found an absolutely phenomenal songwriting program via the net named Finale Notepad, which allows me to write in a way I can understand, utilizing my limited memory of how to read music (aquired during my years in high school band, but left to atrophy ever since) and the ability to hear notes as I'm placing them. I can even playback the music in progress, creating a VERY serviceable instrumental track. End result: I'm beginning to think I can actually finish a complete MP3 of the music to one of my songs. Then, all I'd need is a recording studio or a computer with a working microphone.

But here's the thing: I wanna do good stuff. I like to know if what I've written is good enough to put in the effort for all this. And I'd like to know from folks I respect which songs I should pursue, and which ones I should, at best, rework, and at worst, throw on the slag heap.

So here's the deal: I have about 8 songs which I think are more-or-less "finished". All the lyrics written, all the music in my head. (Some of them with accompaniment as simple as a single piano, others massively produced rock ballads which will obviously have to be toned down.) Anyone who would like to participate, I will send a text file with the complete lyrics to these songs, and you can tell me what you think. Which one do you think is good and I should really work on? Which one really should be rethought? Any and all feedback, positive or negative, is VERY welcome. I really wanna know what you guys think. Then, with your feedback, I will get to work. And we'll see what happens.

So, if you wanna throw some advice (or hard, blunt objects) my way, please lemme know. I would really, REALLY appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for everything. I love you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home