Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A toast...

(posted 8/15/06)

To friends who are soon leaving, or have recently left, to begin their lives anew elsewhere...

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more gray and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend." - The Shawshank Redemption

I love each and every one of you. Selfishly, I am saddened by the fact that you are leaving my life. But your lives will be made all the brighter by the opportunities that your departure will bring.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Len Brown

Steph, J, you're taking a big chance in a big city. I know it can be hard to get your feet planted. But once you do, I have nothing but confidence in your personal ability to succeed in that environment. You are two of the most talented, wonderful people I've ever met. You can do this, no doubt.

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Jess...your new environs may be intimidating, especially for your first steps into independance. But I've always known that beneath that meek exterior lies the heart of a lion and the soul of a champion. You have more drive, passion and ability than you've ever given yourself credit for. I know you will make it, and make it work.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing." - Abraham Lincoln

Greg, please never be discouraged. The opportunities are there, and so is your talent. All that's needed is the drive to succeed. I've seen it in you before, and I have no doubt I will see it again.

"In this life we get only those things for which we hunt, for which we strive, and for which we are willing to sacrifice." - George Matthew Adams

Beth...you may be taking the biggest chance of them all. But you are doing so for the most wonderful of reasons. When I say that Greg is the luckiest man on the planet, I refer not only to the fact that he has your affection, but also to the fact that he has someone who is willing to initiate such change in their life for him. When we make such choices, it demonstrates as much about ourselves as it does about the one we make them for. You, my friend, are a wonderful, wonderful person. May you find a lifetime of love and happiness wherever life leads you.

"The road to a friend's house is never long." - Danish Proverb

Damn straight. You guys can't get rid of me THAT easily. Word of advice: keep a guest bed handy. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home